LANforge Fire Traffic Generator - Features and Highlights
The LANforge-FIRE platform can generate FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, VoIP (SIP, H.323, RTP, RTCP), TCP/IP, UDP/IP, Ethernet, PPPoE, PPP-over-T1, and custom payloads. It currently supports Ethernet (up to Gigabit), 802.1Q VLAN, PPP-over-T1, and Token Ring networks. LANforge software includes support for testing file systems, including network file systems like NFS, SMB, and iSCSI.
LANforge-FIRE can be configured in many different ways, offering Gigabit Ethernet support on the high end, and high-density and inexpensive 10/100 Ethernet ports for lower speed applications. The MAC-VLAN feature allows you to emulate an entire subnet of machines with a single LANforge machine. It is specifically designed to meet the requirements of testing today's Last-Mile and Metro-Edge systems which must handle simultaneous customer traffic across a large number of ports, equipment including Digital Subscriber Access Multiplexers (DSLAMs), Cable Access Systems, and their respective Customer Premise Equipment like DSL and Cable modems. LANforge is a capable tool for testing higher-speed networks up to Gigabit line speeds.
LANforge-FIRE can also be an excellent choice for stress testing your own Linux hardware, especially server type configurations that rely heavily on real-world networking performance. For example, if you are trying to get an idea of how well your new dual-CPU system with 2 Gigabit NICs performs, you could load LANforge on each one (with your own custom compiled kernel if you wish), and drive Ethernet, UDP, TCP, FTP and other traffic against other LANforge enabled stations.
The affordable cost per port, ease of use, and standards compliant networking stack makes the LANforge an essential piece of equipment in every test lab.
LANforge-FIRE Product Features and Highlights
- Supports real-world protocols: (benchmarked on Candela Technologies-supplied hardware)
- Layer 2: Raw-Ethernet (150Mbps, bi-directional, per processor)
- Layer 3: Armageddon accelerated UDP/IP (960Mbps on Gigabit, 97Mbps on 10/100bt)
- Layer 3: UDP/IP (250 Mbps, bi-directional, per processor)
- Layer 3: IGMP Multicast UDP
- Layer 3: TCP/IP (250 Mbps, bi-directional, per processor)
- Layer 4: FTP (200Mbps, bi-directional, per processor)
- Layer 4: HTTP (200Mbps, download, per processor)
- Layer 4: HTTPS (250Mbps, download, high-end dual-processor system)
- Layer 4: GOPHER (not benchmarked)
- Layer 4: TELNET (not benchmarked)
- Layer 4: PING (not benchmarked)
- Layer 4: VoIP Call Generator (SIP, RTP, RTCP), 70+ calls per machine
- Supports over 2,000 connections on a single machine
- Supports PPPoE, including automated creation and deletion of the PPPoE interfaces
- LANforge-WiFIRE feature provides advanced testing and traffic loading on 802.11a/b/g Wireless networks
- Supports real-world compliance with ARP protocol
- Supports ToS (QoS) settings for TCP/IP and UDP/IP connections
- Uses publicly available Linux networking stack for increased standards compliance
- Utilizes libcurl for FTP, GOPHER, HTTP and HTTPS protocols
- Supports file system test endpoints (can be used for NFS, SMB and iSCSI file systems too!)
- Supports custom programs, like ping and traceroute
- Comprehensive traffic reports include: Packet Transmit rate, Packet Receive rate, Packet Receive Drop %, Transmit Bytes, Receive Bytes, Latency, various ethernet driver level counters, and much more
- Supports generation of reports that are ready to be imported into your favorite spread-sheet
- Allows packet sniffing and network protocol decoding with the integrated Ethereal protocol sniffer
- GUI runs as Java application on Linux, Solaris and Microsoft Operating Systems (among others)
- GUI can run remotely, even over a dial-up modem link to accommodate the needs of the users
- Central management application can manage multiple units, tests, and testers simultaneously
- Supports scriptable command line interface (TELNET) which can be used to automate test scenarios (Perl libraries and example scripts are also provided!)
- Comprehensive management information detailing all aspects of the LANforge system including processor card statistics, test cases, and ethernet port statistics
- Contains 12 or more physical data-generating ethernet ports per 2U LANforge chassis, and can be purchased in a variety of form factors
- Emulates up to 250 unique machines with one physical interface with the MAC-VLAN feature!
- Supports up to 250 802.1Q VLANs
- Automatic discovery of LANforge processor cards simplifies configuration of LANforge test equipment
- LANforge traffic generation and management software supported on Red Hat Linux and Microsoft Windows 2000, XP and Vista